Construction started on the Granada Theatre in 1928 by the Johnson Company of Fort Stockton, Texas and was completed in 1929. The theater was utilized over the years for screening movies as well as being a place for community events such as the West Texas Jitterbug Championships in 1941 and The Stars Over Texas war bond drive in 1943. In June of that year over 2,500 gathered outside the Granada to catch a glimpse of Hollywood stars; Gene Autry, Chill Wills and Gayle Storm. The bond tour raised over eighteen million dollars for the United States war efforts against the Axis powers. The bond tour was headed by Granada Theater Manager C.W. “Wally” Davis of Alpine.
Through the many years of operation as a theater the citizens of Brewster County utilized the facility, many on a weekly basis, to distract themselves from the plights of the Great Depression, a World War, the Korean Conflict and finally the Viet Nam War. Many generations of Brewster County citizens share fond memories of watching movies that transported them to far away places and the adventures of such stars as; Hepburn and Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Cary Grant, and a host of Western Stars such as John Wayne and Hop Along Cassidy. Relationships began in the theater and dreams were born, families gathered to be entertained and friends often times were reunited.
The possibilities are limitless for the community to utilize the Granada for that special event where ambiance and comfort are joined to history and elegance, truly a place where memories will be born.